How often are you thinking if only I had:
- more money.
- a more understanding partner.
- ONE designer outfit for job interviews.
- more time for myself.
- a new house.
- different friends.
- more energy.
- a handsome partner.
- a flat stomach.
- more blog followers.
- a long vacation.
- better _______ skills.
- more time with my grandchildren.
The list is endless.
We keep looking for that greener grass “over there” or the pot of gold” at the end of the rainbow”.
And when your DO get “it”…
- How long are you satisfied when you do reach one of those greener pastures? Not very long.
- How often have you turned around to look behind you – at what you have accomplished?
- How often do you look at where you are NOW?
My guess is that it is not very often. We are so focused on what could be or should be that we don’t appreciate what is.
I use to think it was a lot of claptrap when folks talked about “counting their blessings”. I am not a religious person and counting blessings did not resonate with me at all.
Like many before me, as I’ve aged, I have taken the time to really looking INTO myself. I have tried to understand the biology of my being. I am fascinated with how my brain works. And I am beginning to really understand the mind/body connection. It is SO POWERFUL!
Today I am getting acquainted with the core me. Like your core muscles need to be strong to keep your body powerful and balanced, your core mind/body connection needs to be strong to give you the strength to deal with life changes and the flexibility to adapt.
I am HERE.
Appreciating what you have and where you are in the NOW is critical to building that core mind/body connection.
If I spend too much time thinking about the greener grass “over there”, my mind and body become SO out of sync. I am not “over there”. I am HERE.
Every day I work at living in my NOW. I make myself stop several times to listen to my internal chatter. Am I feeling ancy or discombobulated? Why am I frustrated? Am I enjoying what I’m doing? Am I even thinking about what I am doing?
So I stop. Focus on some deep breathing. Look around and start listing all of the things that are right in my life. Yes, I REALLY do this! It takes less than a minute.
I am thankful for:
- a beautiful home.
- very loving friends.
- a relationship with my daughter that grows stronger each year.
- two new knees that don’t hurt.
- a very curious mind that keeps learning.
- a restless spirit that keeps searching.
- a four legged friend that makes me laugh every day.
- the time to reflect on my life.
- the ability to look forward to the future.
I still dream.
Oh, there are many things I would like to have or change. I am not an aesthetic. But I try to put “wants” into perspective. Rarely are any of them are “needs”.
- Yes, I would like to spend a month in the South Seas and take a long photo safari in Africa. Not in the budget this year but a trip to visit my daughter in Utah is in the budget.
- Yes, I would like to have a flat stomach and more energy. My 21 year old body is long gone, but maybe I can keep this one going for a few more years if I take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Yes, designer clothes would be be a grand luxury, but I am learning new knitting techniques to make myself a fabulous sweater. And maybe I’ll bring out the sewing machine.
My greatest realization about myself is that in the core of my being, I am a flexible person. I do adapt to the ebb and flow of my life. And that is what makes the grass around me very green…and full of flowers.
Is your grass green?